Friday, April 29, 2011

Portland Timbers Stand Tall at Home

I will be the first to admit that I did not have much faith in the Timbers at the beginning of the season. Not many people do in an expansion team, mostly because they normally take a few years to get going. Just look at the Grizzlies in the NBA, they finally got their first playoff victory (and almost knocked out the Spurs last night) since they began in 1995. I made other arguments or “excuses” why the Timbers would not have an outstanding season. To put it simply I was wrong.
The Timbers lost their first two games of the year, but both were away. Little did I know that the Timbers would bring their “A” game along with their own “army” while playing at home. Now I am not going to take a complete 180 and say the Timbers will make a playoff run. But I do want to give them credit.
They tied the New England Revolution in New England, and then won two in a row at home against the Chicago Fire and FC Dallas. And they did it in exciting fashion, scoring a combined seven goals between the two games. Sure being comfortable while playing on your own field helps, but I think a lot of it goes to the support behind the Timbers as well. The energy a crowd brings can help or hinder a team more than one might think. And the Timber “army” is LOUD. It helps when your mascot is a giant rugby playing, ex bare-back bronco riding, chainsaw wielding man. Timber Joey is his name, and he made me want to start yelling and jumping around and I was sitting on my couch a few hundred miles away from JELD-WEN Field.
There are still plenty of games left. The Timbers could move to the top of the standings, they are already tied for fifth with Dallas, they could tank and fall, or they could stay right where they are. It is hard to tell but one thing is for sure, if they continue to play at home with the energy and passion they have thus far it will be hard to keep them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment